Monday, March 18, 2013

Listen to how BP differentiate Happiness from mere Pleasure



I have re-transcribed BP's speech delivered in the video. I particularly liked the part where he distinguished happiness from mere pleasure. Check this out:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lBOvuJ5qMWp6d8piMnlMF7zJCtC9UJhlGCRF4upaWH8/pub


My Dear Brother Scouts,  
I am eighty years old. What did you think of that?  And I can't say that I feel very much older than some of you.  
As a boy I was a sort of sea scout and what I learned then help me ever afterward in my life. I became a soldier and did war scouting and jolly exciting it was.  In the army I learned service. That is doing your duty without asking the reason why.  And being prepared to face danger or even death if need be to carry out the duty.  
I did a good lot of travelling which opened my eyes to other countries and other people and their way(s).  I played games and got healthy and I did exploring, and got lots of adventure.  
Yes, I thoroughly enjoyed my life, and though I had no money except what I earned by my work.  I got lots of pleasure.  But after time, I found there was a difference between pleasure and happiness. You get pleasure by amusing yourself by going to the cinema, or playing football or eating a good dinner.  Well, that's all pleasure.  But that feeling of pleasure comes to an end when you finish your game or your dinner.  Happiness is another thing.  It is a joy which lasts with you always. And it comes largely not so much from amusing yourself as from doing good turns, which help other people.  
I want you to have as long and jolly a life as I have.  And you can get it, if you keep yourself healthy and helpful to others. I tell you my secret with this.  I've always try to carry out the Scout Promise and The Scout Law in all that I do.  If you do that you'll make a success of your life, and will have a very happy time if you'd live to be eighty like me.
(Speech by BP re-transcribed by Mr Chang CL, 19 Mar 2013)

No comments: